The benefits of using a client & family portal when delivering home care
As the world faces the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic together, it has become clear that the need for open communication and the ability to share information is a critical requirement in today’s society.
Through the use of a client portal, such as our ‘Client & Family portal’, society’s most vulnerable people receiving home care can share valuable information about their care with their families.
Discover the power of IQ:caremanager today!
Streamline your operations, enhance care planning, and monitor care delivery seamlessly. With features like care planning, eMAR, scheduling, electronic call monitoring, payroll, HR, and a user-friendly carer mobile app, IQ:caremanager is designed to revolutionise the way you manage care.
What is a family portal?
A Client & Family portal brings a host of information together for a person’s loved ones to view, including details about their medication, activities carried out during a care visit, and any vital information the carer felt needed to be noted, such as a change of habit or health status. It can also provide visibility of important documents relating to care, such as a care plan or risk assessment.
As the client portal is an online feature, the information is available to view 24/7, meaning families can check on the details of their relatives at a time convenient for them. In the event they have any further questions or concerns, they can send messages directly to their family member’s home care provider with a click of a button, or arrange an additional care visit to check in on their loved one.
Accessing information on a client & family portal
All information held on the family portal is completely secure, with only permitted users granted access. The patient receiving care has full disclosure on whom they choose to allow access, ensuring they feel confident in the system.
The portal is designed to be quick and easy to follow. Regardless of technical skill or experience, permitted users can access care details on a device they choose, such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
The person’s family members can also use the portal to check additional information linked with the care service that’s being provided, such as viewing invoices – saving home care organisations administration processes and time; a vital resource during the current crisis, with many care providers facing challenges with staffing.
Why are family portals important for those receiving home care?
A client & family portal isn’t only used for sharing the health and care details of a person receiving home care. Families can also share memories, photographs, and important dates with their loved ones, such as a birthday, anniversary, or event that the care support worker can help to celebrate. It can also be used to complement the delivery of more person-centred culturally appropriate care – as a family member/chosen loved one can share details of important personal interests – whether it’s a religious holiday, LGBTQ+ event, or local interest group.
Unique IQ’s Client & Family portal can help home care agencies reduce demand on precious resources, save money and encourage communication. For the vulnerable person receiving care, it can ultimately help to strengthen family bonds, in turn having a beneficial effect on their ongoing health and wellbeing.
The technology brings significant reassurance to both the people receiving care and their family members, bridging the connection between loved ones and bringing peace of mind to everyone.
The benefits of a client portal
- Family or trusted loved ones can conveniently access information about the person being cared for
- Improved communication and transparency between clients, families, friends and caregivers.
- Streamlined access to visit schedules and medication information
- Ability to arrange additional visits if required
- Gives clients the ability to have a greater say in their treatment and care
How a family portal can improve outcomes for home care clients
- Allows carers to raise concerns or celebrate milestones directly with the people that know the client best
- Lets clients communicate their feedback with their caregivers and family to ensure that their needs are always considered
- Provides a safe, non-confrontational space to raise concerns
- Lets family and friends react quickly to any changes in healthcare needs
Key features of a client health portal
- Important client information such as photo, personal preferences, address and contact details
- Access to a digital rota of upcoming and previous visits
- Contact information of family and loved ones
- Contact information of associated professionals such as Doctors
- Messaging system to contact the care team
- Ability to request additional visits
- Medication information
- Daily tasks
- Important documents
A client & family portal is now an essential tool in assisting with the delivery of home-based care. Providing an accessible point of communication for both clients and their families allows the delivery of care to be more transparent, person-centred and reactive.