A comprehensive guide to care sector wellbeing
According to research from Deloitte, the total annual cost of poor mental health to employers has increased by 25% since 2019, totalling between £53 and £56 billion in 2020-21.
Nowhere is this more keenly felt than in the care sector. Stress and burnout among care workers have been magnified by the pandemic – with 60% now reporting feeling overwhelmed by increased pressures. As a result, supporting care workers’ well-being has come into sharp focus – particularly when viewed through the lens of retention.
Blogs to help you navigate the subject of wellbeing in the care sector
- Guest blog: Managing stress in the care sectorBy Marc Caulfield and Lee Trueman, Care to talk? podcast hosts and wellbeing advocates When we began curating topics for ‘Care to talk?’ podcast, stress was very high up on the list. Why? Because vocational jobs like care work are very prone to stress. These careers are all about purpose,… Read more »
- Why is it important to value your employees?Every business leader knows that a good relationship with clients is important, but what’s also important is maintaining a good relationship with employees. It seems obvious, but valuing employees can be a make or break for a business when it comes down to it. And this is particularly vital for… Read more »
- How to promote workplace wellbeingAccording to a 2020 study by our friends at Perkbox, 79% of British adults in employment experience work-related stress. And the care sector is not immune to the problem. A survey by NHS Digital (2018/19) of 50,800 adult carers found that 60.6% reported feeling stressed. One way to tackle workplace… Read more »
- New podcast about managing mental health in caring businessesA new podcast has launched that explores how care leaders can manage the mental health and wellbeing of their care teams. Presented by Marc Caulfield and Lee Trueman and produced by Unique IQ, ‘Care to talk?’ tackles the challenges that business leaders face in supporting the mental health and wellbeing… Read more »
- Wellbeing initiatives and care management softwareThe way we manage and treat people is central to maintaining wellbeing, motivation and engagement. And while we primarily design our systems to plan, deliver and monitor domiciliary care, we also include many features to help manage the people that work in your organisation. Effective use of these HR tools… Read more »
- Thought leadership: Technology’s potential for improving carer wellbeingBy David Lynes, CEO & Founder of Unique IQ I’m a great believer in the power of technology to turn data points into information. And thanks to rapid digitisation within the care sector, it is now rich with data. But the story it tells sits just out of reach – in… Read more »
- How improving carer wellbeing can boost job satisfactionBy Jayne Scarman, Head of Marketing and Wellbeing Champion Unique IQ Wellbeing is widely touted as one of the solutions to the recruitment and retention crisis in care. And the business case for focusing on wellbeing at work is sound. But to what extent has that translated into action within the… Read more »
- Supporting workplace wellbeing in the care sectorAccording to the Chartered Institute of Professional Development (CIPD), “promoting wellbeing can help prevent stress and create a more positive work environment…and be a core enabler of employee engagement and organisational performance. Supporting the health and wellbeing of care workers is particularly important, as their performance directly impacts the lives… Read more »
- 5 ways care agencies can adopt hybrid working practicesA recent study by Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) has found that half of the employers in Great Britain expect an increase in demand for flexible forms of working as the world adjusts to a ‘post-covid’ reality. But what does this mean for businesses like care agencies, that operate… Read more »
- Thought leadership: Wellbeing and the workplaceBy David Lynes, CEO and Founder of Unique IQ It’s February and Boris Johnson has just announced a roadmap out of lockdown. Many of us are beginning to feel like there might finally be some light at the end of the tunnel. The evenings are getting lighter, the days warmer… Read more »
Want to take a closer look at our care management software? Check out our product overview.