With the pressure on for businesses to do their bit to ‘go green’, one Bristol based cleaning company has taken steps to move to cruelty free vegan products. Gleem argues that moving to less chemical-heavy cleaning products makes sense for the environment and for the wellbeing of workers. In light of this, we’re asking if more contract cleaning companies should think about following suit. We’ve compiled a list of the advantages and disadvantages, so you can easily weigh up your options.
- Availability – Sourcing vegan products is becoming increasingly easy. They are widely available online as well as in supermarkets, so you don’t have to go to great lengths to hunt them down.
- Health and Wellbeing – Regular cleaning products often use potentially harmful chemicals. When working in enclosed spaces this could affect the health of your cleaners who breathe them in every time they use them. Vegan friendly products use less of these kinds of chemicals, and so could be better for the health and wellbeing of workers in the long run.
- Environment – As well as cutting the risks to your workers, greener vegan products also cut the potential damage to the environment too, helping to keep the air around us cleaner.
- Background checks – Even though the products are more widely available, you can’t always trust what you read on the labels. Some companies claim to be cruelty free without following through on their promise, so some discretion is advised. Carrying out background checks can be time consuming, and present a potential negative for ‘green’ cleaning products.
- Price – Vegan cleaning products remain a fraction more expensive than their less green competitors. To make a full switch, you would have to adjust your budget accordingly.
In addition to this, finding high quality products is only half the battle when it comes to delivering an excellent standard of cleaning for your clients. Productive, motivated workers are also needed. Solutions such as IQTimecard can cut the time it takes for cleaners to clock their hours, giving them more time to carry out their service. Get in touch for your free trial today.
So, what do you think of vegan products? Do the benefits outweigh the costs? If you have any thoughts or experiences you’d like to share, leave us a comment!